Adam: Our Spokesperson
In 2018 we know more about our families than we’ve ever known. Adam is the prototype for the young adult this campaign was designed.
Adam grew up working class with his mom and dad and two siblings until his parents divorced when he was in elementary school (about 8). After a few relationships, his mother met and married Adam’s stepfather who brought three additional children to the family half-time.
Adam’s biological father remarried as well and had two additional biological children of his own. Visits from and with Adam’s biological father had been decreasing since the divorce and by the time of his parents’ new family formations (Adam was about 13), it was rare for Adam to have any contact at all with his dad.
Adam started having behavior and attention problems in middle school. He was repeatedly unprepared for class, truant, and spending less time at home or in structured activities.
At 15, he had a minor brush with law enforcement and what many people would call a “chip on his shoulder.” Adam, however, had and has goals—he wants to do something in the music industry and had a great passion for this while in school and still, but with more demands on his time now.
He says he loves Eve; although, having a child with her was not something he had ever considered or planned, and he isn’t sure if she’s “the one” for him in terms of marriage.
One thing Adam does know, and states consistently, is that he wants to be a good father and a much better father than he had. At present, he lacks the time, tools, skills, and resources for that to be a reality.
- Adam is 19 years old.
- He has a one-year old son.
- Currently, he is living in the basement with his child and his child’s mother, Eve, in her parent’s home.
- Eve is finishing her last year of high school.
- Adam is getting his G.E.D and working part-time in the fast food industry.
- His mom is divorced and remarried
- Biological dad is remarried with 2 children.
- Has had a brush with law enforcement (misdemeanor - shoplifting)
- Has undiagnosed anger issues.
- He wants to do something in the music industry.
- He wants to be a good father and a much better father than he had.
- At present, he lacks the time, tools, skills, and resources for that to be a reality.